Recently, Dr. Safaraz Munshi at Queens Hospital in the UK posted this wonderful video to advice on potential lifesaving corona virus breathing technique.
Meanwhile, I am merely an alternative therapist, it may be impertinent to add some extra technique on his. However, I am posting this article because I believe that there should also be a chance to save anyone by the Japanese traditional techniques, Seitai.
Seitai has been developed in Japan to save human lives by hands since 100 years ago when medical technology was not fully developed as it is today.
I have already explained how to deal with milder cases in “Seitai encourages you to fight back against COVID-19.”
In this article, I will introduce you to a traditional lifesaving Seitai method to help people who are currently suffering from severer conditions.
1, Fastening ribs technique
During acute pneumonia, the lungs swell and air cannot be exchanged, making oxygen uptake difficult. In severe cases, the liver and kidneys swell causing multiple organ failure and difficulty breathing.
At this time, the upper ribs appear to be thinner and the lower ribs are expanded and extremely hard. By „fastening” these lower ribs, this technique aims at improve metabolism of the organs, loosen the lungs and helps breathing.
- The practitioner sits on the right side of the patient who lies on the back.
- With the right knee fitting to the right side of the patient’s rib cage and both hands holding the left side of the rib cage, fasten and lift the entire rib cage with the right knee and hands (see the picutre above.) Needless to say, be careful not to break their ribs.
- At an angle aiming the patient’s throat, hold it for a few breaths to a few minutes, and release them gently and slowly when the patient’s breathing shows a sign of improvement
In case the traditional method is difficult to do, here is another version.
- Have the patient lie on whichever side he/she is comfortable with.
- In order to lift the rib cage by stretching the latissimus dorsi, raise the arms upward to the extent that the patient can, while keeping the elbows bent.
- Place your palms widely on the position shown in the pictures, and lift their rib cage diagonally, concentrating your attention on the center of the patient’s body (be careful not to break the ribs.)
- Hold them for a few breaths to a few minutes and release them gently and slowly whenever the patient shows a sign of improvement in breathing.
- If the patient is comfortable with it, have him/her lie on the other side and repeat the steps from 2 to 4.
2, Steamed towel method at the navel
Seitai practitioners regard navel as a center of the lifeform from which baby is grown, the vital point of spleen and lungs, therefore quite a crucial spot. This method puts a hot steamed towel on it and aims at bring out their vitality.
- Prepare a thicker towel at a size of about 85 cm (33.5 in) × 35 cm (14 in).
- Fold the towel in a size somewhat larger than the palm of the patient’s hand.
- Immerse it in water and squeeze it, leaving enough moisture in it to keep it from dripping.
- Heat the wet towel. If you find it too hot, let it cool to avoid a burn.
– Use a microwave … Heat up for 60 to 90 seconds.
– Use hot water … Immerse it in hot water and squeeze it with rubber gloves to prevent a burn (it is even safer with rubber gloves over cotton gloves).
- Apply it to navel at higher than a comfortable temperature and lower than a temperature that can cause a scald burn.
- Warm up the same towel after it has cooled down (about 4 minutes)
- Lay it on the area again. Repeat the process 3 – 5 times.
Since this is an emergency treatment, it should be performed at a higher temperature than that used in the normal Steamed towel method. (Please strictly follow this instruction and do not use a hot pack or disposable warmer instead. Refer to this article for the particular reason for this.)
I am sorry we haven’t left any “evidence“ because of the difference between western and eastern philosophy, but these techniques have been tested and survived for a long time, to save compatriots’ lives.
Particularly, these two are the most practical among Seitai methods which have been handed down as “lifesaving methods.” When this improves the patient’s condition a little, apply “Fastening collarbones” and “Steamed towel on collarbones” as described in “ Seitai encourages you to fight back against COVID-19 ” is recommendable. If not, repeat the above methods every few hours.